Family



My niece taking pictures at her 2nd birthday party...such a little goober!!!

You all don't even realize how grateful I am for my family of origin.I didn't have a perfect childhood but no one has but that's not what this is about.Do we REALLY realize how the family we grew up in shaped and molded us into the people we are today?I don't think we do.I'm not going to get into any heavy topics because those are a dime a dozen and they aren't doing a dang thing for anyone because it's all to gripe and complain.Besides,heavy topics are meant for face to face conversations (in my opinion).BUT I will talk about how my family shaped me and how thankful I am that God placed me where He did.

Because of the family I grew up in I learned to "deal" (I use that term loosely here) with people.Being 1 of 14 children and 4th in line from the top it's just what you had to do..aka LIFE.Being an introvert I am thankful for the experience because I am pretty sure I would be a hermit otherwise and a TERRIBLE team player,given how these are areas I naturally struggle with... I can't imagine what I would've been like as an only child *shudder*

My younger sister blowing bubbles for the littles.

I am also thankful because I am able to have a completely unique perspective on topics that some adults are just now experiencing in their lives because I was able to grow up seeing truth lived out.Adoption,race,God's love and provision,self-worth.Not to say that I have it all figured out,not by a long shot (oh how i wish!), but I know that because I was exposed to the beauty of these things at a  younger age I have had longer to think on them and grow in truth.

My family is unique...not just because there are 14 of us,not just because 13 of us are adopted,not just because there are four major races represented in our family...nope,none of these things are what make my family so special.What then?What makes my family special is that God put us together.it wouldn't have been any mans plan for my family to be the way it is.In fact many spoke harshly with critical words before,during,and after the process of the adoptions and many still can't wrap their minds around it.

my brother in law with his little girls

me and my niece





                                  
my younger brother
I don't care how tough you think you are...the juice box gives it away ;) Goober!


my younger brother

my younger brother


But only God could've hung a rainbow in the sky,right?And only God could've made a rainbow family like mine.Not just because of all the colors but because of all the promises He has made and fulfilled and continues to fulfill.


 I am thankful for my family because even at my worst they loved me,even though I didnt look like them they loved me,even though we didn't agree on everything they loved me and continue to love me.No matter what,they love me for me and not because of anything I have or haven't done.

LOVE IS POWERFUL

And that continues on with my family,with my boys.My boys get to see the beauty of the family I grew up in.I get to pass on the love,knowledge,truth that was given to me and give it to them.They can love for not what you look like or where you come from but who God made you to be.They see people (no matter what they look like) and ask if they are family.It makes my heart soar because we SHOULD treat everyone as family and they already get that.Obviously I am learning from them as well.They see color *gasp* yes...they are not color blind nor do I wish them to be.They see color and KNOW it is beautiful and that it can be talked about because it's a beautiful thing.I encourage them to see the beauty in things and to talk about beautiful things.Because it's important,it matters!They also know that they can talk about things that other people may not agree with because to seek truth you have to talk about things that make you uncomfortable...and they know it is OK!It's ok to be uncomfortable.That's how we grow and learn when we get beyond our comfort zones.When we stop seeking and asking only then we stop growing and learning.
I'm sure it wasn't comfortable for my parents to do what they did..but they did and I am so glad they did...my siblings and I are blessed because of it and I am beyond grateful for their choices!Love and truth live on in our families because of them.




*random pictures*






It doesn't have to be November for you to be thankful.What are you thankful for?I would love to know!








Comments

Popular Posts